How much is my car accident claim worth?
At Jimeno & Gray, you can trust our experienced auto accident attorneys to:
- Walk you through what to expect as we pursue maximum compensation in your car accident claim
- Dig deep into your claim to ensure we have reviewed every last detail related to your crash and the resulting damages
- Consult with medical professionals and economic experts to calculate how much your injuries will cost you over the course of your life
- Ask you many detailed questions to help you think through all the ways this accident has affected you
An insurance company may approach you with a car accident settlement offer soon after your crash, before you really know how much your claim could be worth. Do not agree to any settlement offers or give a recorded statement without speaking to one of our attorneys about your rights.
Schedule a free case consultation today, and one of our compassionate Maryland auto accident lawyers will contact you within 24 hours to discuss your claim.
Economic vs. Non-Economic Damages
Probably the simplest way to break down how your car accident claim will be valued is based on economic and non-economic damages:
Economic damages are those you can easily assign a concrete cost to, such as medical bills, missed paychecks, and vehicle repair costs.
Non-economic damages are those intangible after-effects of your accident that don’t have solid monetary values tied to them, such as pain and suffering and the loss of enjoyment of life.
Our attorneys will start by reviewing your case and collecting any documentation you have so far, such as medical records and accident reports. We will then launch into an in-depth investigation of your crash to collect all the evidence we need to build a strong claim for maximum compensation.
Understanding Car Accident Settlement Amounts
A majority of car accident claims end in settlements. However, at Jimeno & Gray, our dedicated auto accident attorneys prepare your case as if we are going to trial, which enables us to negotiate from a position of strength when it comes time to discuss car accident settlement amounts.
As we evaluate your claim, we will consider the many factors that are unique to your case, including:
- What medical bills have you racked up so far?
- What are the expected costs of future treatments you will need, such as follow-up doctor visits and physical therapy?
- What are your expected costs for medications, both now and in the future?
- Do you need to use assistive mobility devices such as a wheelchair or walker?
- Will your injury require you to make changes to your home or purchase medical equipment to be used at home?
- How much time from work have you missed due to your injury?
- How much more time do you expect to miss?
- Did you use vacation or sick time to cover your loss?
- Will your injury prevent you from returning to your job?
- Will you be forced to take a lower-paying position?
- Will you be able to work at all?
Damage to Property
- How much will it cost to repair or replace your vehicle?
- Are you paying for a rental car while your vehicle is in the shop?
- If your vehicle will be repaired, how will its resale value be affected by the crash?
- If your vehicle is totaled, did it include after-market upgrades that should be factored into its value?
Impact on Your Daily Duties
- Did you have to hire someone to handle your normal household chores?
- Did your injury force you to pay someone to do the yardwork you normally do?
- Did you need to hire a person to care for your children while you recovered?
Loss of Enjoyment of Life
- Are you unable to enjoy activities like you did before?
- Is your injury forcing you to miss out on important events in your life?
- Did you have to give up the hobbies you have always enjoyed?
- Has your crash injury hurt your relationship with your spouse?
Scarring and Disfigurement
- Have you lost a limb, suffered facial disfigurement, or other severe scarring that will cause lifelong hardships?
Pain and Suffering
Physical and emotional pain and suffering can be hard to put a price on, but our experienced attorneys can evaluate your case to come up with an appropriate value for your case.
Loss of Life
If you lost a loved one in a car accident, you may be able to recover compensation through a wrongful death or survival action. This could include payment for:
- Funeral expenses
- Medical bills
- Pain and suffering that your loved one endured
- Loss of wages
- Loss of companionship
- Loss of support
At Jimeno & Gray, our detailed Maryland car accident attorneys put a lot of work into documenting the damages you have suffered so we can demand full and fair compensation for you. We do everything we can to take the burden off of you while we fight for the justice you deserve. Schedule a free consultation with our team today.
What Is Contributory Negligence?
Maryland is one of a handful of states that adheres to a pure contributory negligence law. This means that if a person contributes as little as one percent to the accident, he or she cannot recover damages.
Insurance companies will use this law by trying to pin some of the blame on you so they can avoid paying you compensation completely. Our knowledgeable attorneys have been dealing with these insurance company tactics for years, and we are committed to shielding you from unfair blame.
What Is the Collateral Source Rule?
In many cases, the injured person may find other sources of compensation to cover some of the costs of the accident. For example, you may use your health insurance to pay for some medical bills, or you may file for workers’ compensation benefits if your accident happened while you were on the job.
The collateral source rule bars the at-fault party from bringing up these sources of compensation in trial. This means the jury can calculate full and fair damages without penalizing you for taking advantage of other benefits available to you.
Need Help After an Auto Accident?
Schedule a free consultation with our experienced Maryland car accident lawyers today. At Jimeno & Gray, our team can help you determine how much your auto accident claim is worth and fight for the compensation you need.
With offices in Glen Burnie, our auto accident law firm is conveniently located and poised to help crash victims throughout Maryland.