Postnuptial Agreement Lawyer in Maryland
Law offices in Glen Burnie. Serving clients’ legal needs across the state of Maryland.
Secure Your Future
Maybe you regret not signing a prenuptial agreement before marriage, or perhaps you want to replace your existing prenup with a new, updated agreement. An experienced postnuptial agreement lawyer at Jimeno & Gray can help you draft a secure postnup that benefits you and your spouse, reduces future conflict, and protects your family relationships. Schedule a call today to create a postnuptial agreement in Glen Burnie, Maryland.
What Are Postnuptial Agreements?
Postnuptial agreements work similarly to prenuptial agreements, with one exception: The couple signs the agreement after the marriage, rather than before. Like a prenup, a postnuptial agreement may cover points that usually arise during divorce, like the division of assets or debts, child custody, and child or spousal support.
Every couple can benefit from a postnuptial agreement, but signing a postnup is especially advisable if:
- You have a business or intellectual assets (like books or art) that you want to keep as separate property
- You have a complex family structure that involves children from prior relationships
- You are expecting an inheritance, a settlement, or another substantial addition to your assets
- You or your spouse have significant personal wealth and/or high debts
- There is conflict and tension in your marriage, although you may not currently plan to file for divorce
Are Postnuptial Agreements Enforceable?
A postnuptial agreement is a legally binding contract. However, just like with prenups, certain conditions may render a postnup invalid. To be enforceable in Maryland, a postnuptial agreement must:
- Be fair to both spouses and not leave one spouse without reasonable financial support
- Protect the interests of minor children (e.g., waiving the right to child support is usually unenforceable)
- Be based on honest and full disclosure of both spouses’ finances
- Involve no coercion, intimidation, or other undue influence that may induce one spouse to sign the agreement involuntarily
How a Postnuptial Agreement Lawyer Can Help
If you want to create an effective and enforceable postnup, working with an experienced postnuptial agreement lawyer is essential. Jimeno & Gray’s team helps clients create postnuptial agreements that:
- Cover all essential points that may crop up during a divorce, like property division, child custody, and child and spousal support
- Address what happens to both spouses’ personal assets if one spouse passes
- Protect both sides financially while preserving healthy relationships
- Reduce the chance of a high-conflict contested divorce
- Comply with all legal requirements of the State of Maryland
A Jimeno & Gray lawyer can also revise your existing postnuptial agreement and suggest updates or counsel you about signing a postnup your spouse has proposed.
Jimeno & Gray: Your Trusted Law Firm for All Family Law Matters in Glen Burnie, Maryland
A legally valid postnuptial agreement can protect your financial and intellectual property, give you peace of mind, and reduce stress and uncertainty in the event of a divorce. Don’t leave your future to chance — contact Jimeno & Gray to draft a postnuptial agreement today.
Call 410-590-9401 or fill out the convenient online form for a consultation with a postnuptial agreement lawyer in Glen Burnie, Maryland.