For many couples, contemplation of marriage involves little thought of what may happen if the relationship doesn’t work out. While it’s natural to hope for the best as you look toward the future, it’s also wise to remember that about half of all marriages end in divorce.
A timely consultation with a prenuptial agreement lawyer could help you avoid stress, conflict, and instability. Contact the legal team at Jimeno & Gray to draft a comprehensive, legally valid prenup in Glen Burnie, Maryland.
Who Needs a Prenuptial Agreement?
Every couple preparing for marriage can benefit from a prenuptial agreement. Unlike what some people think, prenups aren’t only for those who bring a lot of personal wealth into marriage. A prenuptial agreement can:
- Help you keep certain property, like your business, separate from your marital assets
- Protect the interests of your children from a prior marriage or relationship
- Protect you and/or your spouse from creditor claims and other complex financial situations that may arise from debt one of you brings into the marriage
- Cover key issues that typically crop up in divorce, like property division and spousal support
- Make divorce easier, quicker, and less expensive if the marriage ends
What Prenuptial Agreements Include
While every prenuptial agreement is different, prenups often determine:
- Property division in the event of a divorce
- Alimony/spousal support
- Inheritance plans for children from previous relationships
- Both spouses’ interests in business assets or intellectual property
Please note that there are some limits on what prenups may cover. For example, a prenuptial agreement can’t stipulate that one spouse waives child custody or child support. Family law courts will always make child support and custody decisions based on the child’s interests.
Why You Need an Experienced Prenuptial Agreement Lawyer
To give you solid protection, your prenuptial agreement must be enforceable in Maryland. A family law court won’t uphold a prenup that is extremely skewed in favor of one spouse or violates children’s best interests. Non-disclosure of assets or debts may invalidate a prenup as may pressuring one’s partner to sign the agreement using manipulation or threats.
Jimeno & Gray’s legal team has helped many clients in the Glen Burnie, MD, area draft clear and legally valid prenups. A prenuptial agreement lawyer can:
- Ensure your agreement covers all essential points relevant to your relationship and financial situation
- Verify your agreement involves full disclosure of all assets and debts
- Help you protect property and interests
- Make sure your prenup is legally valid in Maryland
- Revise an existing prenuptial agreement for clarity and enforceability
Jimeno & Gray: Secure Prenuptial Agreements in Glen Burnie, MD
A prenuptial agreement can protect your rights, safeguard your property, shield your children’s finances, and help you avoid a high-conflict contested divorce. Jimeno & Gray is ready to help you create a prenuptial agreement that is clear, detailed, fair to both sides, and fully enforceable in Maryland.
Call 410-590-9401 or go online to schedule a consultation with a skilled family law and prenuptial agreement lawyer in Glen Burnie, MD.